Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lone Peak Kids' Triathlon


The kids' swim teacher, Becky, hosted her annual kids' triathlon on Saturday.  This was my girls' first year participating.  They have never done anything like this before, so I was happy that they agreed to do it.  Their cousin Ty was going to do the Kids' Tri too, so I know that was part of the motivation.  I think the promise of doughnuts, a medal, and a goody bag didn't hurt either!

It was a little crazy with all three of them swimming, biking, and running at different times.  Mark was not able to come because he had planned to go on a long mountain biking ride that day before we made plans for the tri.  I didn't get to document all the parts of the race for each of the girls, but I got as much as I could.  This is Anna after her swim, getting ready for her bike portion.

Lainie coming through the finish line after all three legs (behind the girl in the green).  Fun thing about Lainie with this Tri is she had just finished her 10 swimming lessons a few days before.  I wasn't sure how she would do in the pool.  I thought I'd have to be there telling her when to turn over for air and when to roll back over.  But in the chaos of getting there and getting everyone ready I realized she had already gotten in the pool and was finishing her swim before I even had us all settled.  She did great and maneuvered through the pool with confidence.  She did have other people by the side of the pool if needed for coaching.  Also, she just learned how to ride her bike without training wheels and was struggling with getting started.  We had her practice on her bike right before the tri and she just took off and could get started and ride without a problem.  This was a good day for her!

Ty and Lainie after the race.

Anna after her biking portion.  Anna loved the race and enjoyed each of the legs.

Poor Garrett cried for the first half of the tri.  He kept telling me he needed his swimsuit.  He was so sad that he didn't get to swim too!  Afterall, we were at his swim teacher's pool where he had been swimming many days.  A doughnut made it mostly better. 

Brooke starting her biking.

Brooke running it in.  This race was a challenge for Brooke.  She had to swim six laps (not a big pool), bike three laps around Becky's block (just short of a half mile each) and run two laps.  This was all based on age.  Her ears hurt after her swim and she had a side ache for her run.  It was hard for her, but she kept at it and was able to finish. 

Enjoying their doughnuts and treat bags after the race.

This is Lainie with Nick, who taught most of her swim lessons.  He was an awesome and enthusiastic teacher.  Lainie wanted Nick to be her teacher most days.  Then towards the end of swim lessons she told me she decided she didn't like boys and wanted a girl teacher again.  However, Becky knew Lainie had asked for Nick early on, so she kept getting Nick and did just fine with him.  She didn't want to pose for a picture with him, so he grabbed her and made her pose for me.

2 comments:

  1. Wish I had checked your blog before you came here so I would have known about this. I would have loved to talk to the kids about it. It's GREAT they can participate in activities like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay kids! I'm loving this triathlon business! Did your kids LOVE it? Would they do it again?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed