Thursday, March 25, 2010

How I see it. . . .

While I desire to make my blog apolitical (because strong political statements on blogs have only bred negativity, based on my past experiences), if this blog is indeed our family journal, and if I am the author of this journal, I would not be accurately portraying this time in my life if I swept my current political feelings under the rug.  I have tried to keep them private-held myself back many times this week from making this post-and focusing on the happy day-to-day goings on of the week.  I have been lying to myself.  I have fear and doubt about the future of our country brimming over in my emotions and thoughts as I try to accomplish normal tasks this week.

I find myself on the verge of tears as I try to cope with thoughts of how one party can force through a 3,000 page bill that more of their constituents oppose than support (this statement is based on a CNN poll from this week).  How can elected officials who represent us, who work for us presume to think that they know what's best for us more than we know ourselves? And the same people who shadily forced this bill through aren't even subject to the bill themselves???  I am disgusted.  I am saddened.  I am ashamed.  I am afraid. Do any of you know a single healthcare professional who thinks this healthcare bill is a good thing?  I don't!! And I know a lot of doctors.  I read that Fidel Castro as well as one of the big wigs at the World Health Organization praise this healthcare reform in the United States.  Are we supposed to be happy that communists and socialists think this is a good thing??  If Fidel Castro is praising this, I'd run as fast as I could in the opposite direction.  Do any of you who support healthcare reform of this magnitude honestly feel good about how this bill was passed and what is in it and the fact that the dang thing has over 3,000 pages.  Do any of us even truly understand what this bill means for our future?   Does the passing of this bill truly represent the desires of the people of this country as a whole?  Not a single republican vote.  Not one single vote from a republican.  Not that I am proud of the republican party.

I don't understand how so many of us can be on such a different page from one another.  I feel the gap widening.  I want to understand how people can think this is a good thing.  People that I love and respect (although that respect is diminishing and I don't think I can control it) support this bill.  I don't think they understand what will happen years down the road as a result of this, but they want free healthcare for people who don't have it enough to think this is a good thing. If my children and grandchildren read this someday I want them to know where I stood in 2010.  I spent five years of my life in New Orleans and saw every single day what life is like for people who think the government should take care of them, that the government owes them something.  It's not the road we want to be on.  I support the constitution and creating laws the way the constitution dictates, not through some unethical, unprecedented loophole.  I support the things that make America great and give us longevity like capitalism and working hard to earn what we have. I wish my mind would stop racing and that I could feel some peace and feel trust in our government and their desire to do what's best for the country as a whole.  I wish I was ignorant and could stop paying attention.

8 comments:

  1. I am having a hard time too. Matt's been out of a job for 6 months. These times are so bad. I don't think this health care bill is a sudden, one time event on our road to socialism. My sister works at the capital here in Utah and was telling me about the Real ID act and other things. I think we could be in for a long hard road. HOWEVER, here's some comfort that I'm trying to rely on. Elder Uchtdorf's talk in Priesthood session last October. And 2Timothy 1:7. I don't think you need to feel badly about expressing your opinion on your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart and mind are so in tune with yours. My heart is so full of fear for this great nation!! The fact that Obama surrounds himself with radicals and socialists is so disturbing. People either have their heads in the sand or else they aren't paying attention.
    I'm glad you posted this on your own blog rather than our family blog. Otherwise, you would get a lot of negative feedback.
    How can people even begin to think this is right? Especially, the way it was pushed through. When Obama was on the campaign trail he promised that he would be completely transparent and that the health care bill would be placed on the internet (CNN) so that the public could read it. NOT!! How can we have faith in our leaders when they lie? All we can do is trust in the Lord and believe that He will keep his promises to the righteous. I'm so proud of you for taking a stand and making your feelings known.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I wish I was ignorant and could stop paying attention."

    I know precisely how you feel; after all, ignorance is bliss. But, as responsible citizens we have an obligation to stay informed and to stand up for what is right...to stand up for liberty in the face of tyranny. And part of standing up is voicing your opinion. Kudos to you for voicing yours in this post, and for doing it in a very respectful manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100%, which is not a surprise to you. But it's risky to voice your opinions publicly, and i just wanted to give you my support.

    this government is wrong. it stands for wrong. they conduct their duties wrong. and they encourage wrong things.

    i will not sustain them. i will not be quiet. i will not let their lies filtrate through my family walls.

    i long for the day to cast my vote. i pray the liberals will be taken out, or should i say, "cast out."

    politics isn't "gray" anymore. it's simple to see the distinct black and white difference {and if someone thinks i'm referring to race...you must be liberal!} the stark difference between good and evil is astounding. i pray to have respect for my liberal friends, as the Lord would have me do. but i believe there is a time when 50% of church members will fall away from the gospel....and how easy would it be to fall away due to these crazy political lies they've been told?

    how do church members/liberals see it? as living the law of concecration? as feeding the hungry? clothing the naked? helping the poor?

    i think it was dennis miller that said it perfectly...."i don't mind helping the less fortunate, it's the clueless and stupid ones i mind." i agree completely. i start to take it personal when our hard earned money goes to the person that just doesn't want to hold down a job, get a better education, or take the initiative to create his/her own better life.

    spreading the wealth doesn't work. the wealthy won't be wealthy for long, if that's the way the government wants it. oh wait...that IS what they want! they want everyone completely dependant,poor, and cornered, so that when the government reaches out their hand to help, we'll have no place to turn but to them. i'm sorry, but that's not freedom. that's not a free market. that's not capitalism. that's not democracy. that's not responsibility. THAT'S NOT AMERICA.

    it's not just about money {although that is where all americans will feel it the most}, it's about freedom of choice, quality of life, abortions of valiant spirits trying to come down to this earth, the sanctity of families {and the definition of such}, holding true to standards, defending what is right even if it means by force, and TEACHING others how to create a successful life, oppose to handing success to them.

    how do we stay clear on these crazy political issues? we listen to our prophet. we pay attention to the constitution. we obey they law {and support leaders/politicians that obey the law}. we remember the proclamation to the family. we remember the stories that come straight out of the scriptures {their political hard times were just as terrible}. we remember what captain moroni stood for when he flew his title of liberty. WE REMEMBER WHAT WE VALIANT SPIRITS ARE HERE FOR IN THESE LATTER DAYS. AND.FIGHT.FOR.RIGHTEOUSNESS.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mom, Amber, Tracy, and Natalie for validating my thoughts and feelings. I know I'm not alone and I'm thankful to know I have articulate, educated, spiritually in tune friends who get it and who won't allow themselves to be fooled. We are on the path of frightening government control under the guise of helping the poor. One more big step towards government dependency. Natalie, I couldn't have and didn't say it better than you! Can I replace my post with your comment to it?? Honestly, thank you for putting these feelings of frustration and confusion into clear words and examples. I love Dennis Miller's quote. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Everyone is spot on concerning this government takeover. There is so much at stake and I can't understand why so many people can't see what is happening. They're being led very carefully down the path which could ultimately lead to our losing the freedoms we so enjoy. To think that these freedoms which so many have fought and died for could be trampled underfoot of these progressives. It makes my blood boil.
    I'm so looking forward to General Conference next weekend where we can listen to men of God give us messages of hope, peace and inspiration. Whatever would we do without the Plan of Happiness? Thanks, Natalie for your words of validation to Andrea. She has been pretty emotional, and rightly so. These are the words she needed to hear and you said them so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am late to the party here (not blog reading too much these days), but I am glad you voiced your opinion so eloquently, and that your mom and Natalie and Tracy chimed in. I couldn't agree more with all of you. I am saddened by what has happened, and feel that Obama (truthfully, I don't even like to use the tern "President" when referring to him because I feel he does not deserve that title) just wanted to pass SOMETHING, even if it is a bunch of garbage, just to say he was part of reform, just to say that he changed something. Too bad it's a change for the worse. I have never felt so frustrated and discouraged about what is happening in my county. Dennis Miller's quote is spot on how I feel. Don't blame you a bit for being emotional about all this. We should all be so! Tough times seem evident, and that's a very scary feeling to have when thinking about the future of our great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andrea! It's been so long! I came across your blog and wanted to also give you my support. I, too, am disgusted and saddened. It's so nice to here there are many of us who feel the same way. We all have to remember that whatever happens, as long as we are living the Gospel, we will be okay. Hopefully we can reverse some of this awful mess. We can't keep taxing the "wealthy" (if you can call $200,000 wealthy!) Pretty soon, there won't many any wealth to tax! xo Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed