
I am not even sure of when the last evening was that we had nowhere to be and actually spent the whole night at home as a family. We have had a fun summer, but it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. We run so crazy busy during the school year with after school activities and homework and church things, the dinner and bedtime routine, etc., that I was so looking forward to having a low key summer. We enjoyed lots of time with cousins and did many fun outings and day trips. But low key does not describe the summer we are wrapping up. Lots of late nights and tired kids and days jammed packed with things to do. I wouldn't trade all the time we got to spend with our extended family, but I sure enjoyed being at home today with just us and a free evening.

Sadly, Mark was feeling a little under the weather, so he missed Anna and Lainie's "performance." They put on dress up clothes and danced and lip synced to, of all things, Christmas music in August. I actually rather liked the Christmas music. It added to the comforting feeling of home. Kids deserve time to just hang out at home and play together and be creative. No one said they were bored today. We just enjoyed being home.


The after school activities have been scheduled and somehow all squeezed into the week's equation (thank heavens for carpooling). Teachers have been assigned. New jeans and fall sweaters and backpacks have been bought. We still need to get school shoes and dance shoes and tights and leotards. Lainie has six hours of dance boot camp this week, swim lessons for Garrett and Lainie start soon, and I need to get the brakes done in my van. But we are working our way towards another school year and plan to enjoy these last nine days of summer with hopes that it can be a bit more low key and unhurried.
I thought we were supposed to get a phone call if you had a free night!!! Just kidding. Nothin' like sitting around doing nothing.
ReplyDeleteYou have definitely had a very busy summer filled with family and fun!! Love all the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI love nights (and days) like this!! The best thing about being a mom...watching the kids do fun stuff. (Sarah has that purple dress up..too cute).
ReplyDelete