Friday, July 24, 2009

Days of 47 Floats

For activity days Brooke and Anna went to see all the floats for the Days of 47 Parade. They were all on display at the Southtown Expo center. This first float was made by our stake and was easily the coolest float there.
Alexis and Allie had spent the night with us, so they came along with us to see the floats.
Brooke decided this float was her favorite because it reminded her of the streetcars in New Orleans.
My kids have been asking me all summer to take them to get a snow cone. We finally tried a stand called African Ice. They actually had the flavor Wedding Cake, which was the flavor of snowball I liked in New Orleans. Actually, I am not a huge fan of snowballs. I'd rather spend calories on chocolate. My kids love them, and I guess I am fond of them because they remind me of New Orleans. Sadly, it didn't even come close to the real thing. My friend Allison said there is a place in Salt Lake called NOLA snowballs, run by people from Baton Rouge, and the snowballs are authentic. The ice in a snowball is different than ice in a Snowie or Hawaiian Ice or a traditional snow cone. The ice in a snowball is soft and slushy and velvety smooth. It soaks up the syrup and holds onto it just perfectly. People add sweetened condensed milk to some flavors and you can add soft serve ice cream in the middle if you want.

1 comment:

  1. Love all the pictures!! This made my mouth water for a snowball. We HAVE to go to NOLA snowballs when I come to visit next time!Pictures of many of the floats were posted on the Meridian Magazine web site this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed